Tomorrow we are releasing Lager Ness Monster, a new 15% Imperial Baltic Porter. This beer started with the same recipe as our Framinghammer Baltic Porter, but with a twist. During the first stage of the brewing process we mix hot water with our malted grains in our Mash Tun to extract the sugars from the grain that will later be fermented into alcohol. The resulting liquid from this process is called wort. For Lager Ness Monster we did this process once, then we refilled the Mash Tun with more grain. This second time, instead of using water to mix with the grain, we re-used our wort from the first batch and concentrated it. This allowed the wort to pick up more sugar than our normal process would allow, resulting in a 15% abv monster! This beer was brewed last spring and has been aging in bourbon barrels since. Come by the brewery tomorrow to try Lager Ness Monster.
Jack’s Abby is a rapidly growing family owned and operated lager brewery located in the MetroWest Boston region. Our goal is to create truly remarkable beer that combines the strict standards of German brewing with the innovative approach of American craft breweries. Jack’s Abby also prides itself on its positive company culture, where team members are valued for their efforts, enthusiasm and commitment to continual improvement. Our company is seeking a full-time lab technician to join our small but growing QC/QA department in January, 2015. Prospective candidates should note that our QC/QA department is currently in its infancy stage and the scope of current lab tech responsibilities listed below will likely change and evolve as the department matures. We offer a benefit package including health insurance and a weekly beer allowance.
Scope of Current Tasks:
- Sample, analyze and record microbiological status of beer in process in accordance with our quality control plan
- Sample, analyze and record microbiological status of packaged beer in accordance with our quality control plan
- Count and record yeast cells
- Calculate and record yeast cell viability
- Calculate and record yeast pitch rates
- Conduct forced fermentations
- Sample and analyze carbon dioxide and oxygen levels in packaged product
- Test and monitor hygiene of fermentation vessels and packaging equipment
- Maintain a neat and clean laboratory
- Make and manage media including WL nutrient agar and HLP medium
- Work in a careful, safe manner in accordance with company safety procedures
- Meet with quality control manager on a regular basis
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelors of Science in chemistry, microbiology, food science, related field or equivalent quality control/quality assurance experience in the brewing or beverage/food industry
- General understanding of statistics
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in MS Excel and/or Google Spreadsheets, MS Word and/or Google Docs
- Exceptional time management skills
- Self-motivated, self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to think critically and troubleshoot
- Ability to work in a loud, temperature variable environment for extended periods of time
- Ability to work with cleaning and laboratory chemicals with necessary safety precautions
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Lab Tech Position
Kiwi Rising, our Double India Pale Lager made with all New Zealand hops, will be available at the brewery this Thursday. Clocking in at 8.5% abv and 105 IBUS, this DIPL will be available in 500ml bottles and growlers. In addition, American Brewed will be on-site for the release to film for their upcoming TV pilot. Kiwi Rising will be distributed to all of our markets in MA, CT, VT and Upstate NY.
This hopbock lager balances an assertive Munich Malt character with an infusion of Super Styrian, Columbus and Palisades hops. It’s full-bodied and malty with a hop aroma that’s both spicy and piney. The lager’s beautiful amber hue takes after our head brewer’s luscious lashes. Lashes Lager uses locally sourced grain.
OG 16 Plato / IBUs 50 / ABV 6.8%
Our Cherry Barrel Aged Berliner Lager is now available at the brewery. Since July, we have been aging our Berliner Lager in oak barrels with three different fruits. The barrel aging allowed for the fruit and wild fermentation to add a new complexity to the beer. The cherry version will be available only at the brewery for tastings and 32oz growlers from 10/22 to 10/25.
Our Plum version will be available on 10/29 and there will be a blended version of cranberry, cherry and plum available 11/5. In addition to these fruit versions there is a Brettanomyces version that will be released at a later time.
This Wednesday, 10/15, we will be releasing our Cranberry Barrel Aged Berliner Lager. Since July, we have been aging our Berliner Lager in oak barrels with three different fruits. The barrel aging allowed for the fruit and wild fermentation to add a new complexity to the beer. The first release will be our cranberry version, which will be available only at the brewery for tastings and 32oz growlers.
Each of the next three weeks will see the release of a new variety. Cherry will be released on 10/22, Plum on 10/29 and there will be a blended version of all three available 11/5. In addition to these fruit versions there is a Brettanomyces version that will be released at a later time.